The IISL (see also the IISL official website) was established in Oñati, Spain in 1989 by the Basque government and the RCSL. Since then, the IISL has become the home of the international socio-legal community. Its activities include:
- An International Masters Programme in Sociology of Law, including student scholarships.
- The best socio-legal library and documentation centre in the world. We also a number of residence grants for scholars to visit the library. The catalogue is available online.
- Workshops and other meetings.
- Publications, including the Oñati Socio-Legal Series,
the Oñati International Series in Law and Society,
and Sortuz – Oñati Journal of Emergent Socio-Legal Studies.
Scientific directors (in chronological order):
André-Jean Arnaud (†), 1988-1991
Paavo Uusitalo (†), 1991-1992
Rogelio Pérez Perdomo, 1992-1993
Roberto Bergalli (†), 1993-1995
Johannes Feest, 1995-1997
Jacek Kurczewski, 1997-1998
Pierre Guibentif, 1998-2000
William Felstiner, 2000- 2002
Manuel Calvo-García (†), 2002-2003
Volkmar Gessner (†), 2003-2005
Joxerramon Bengoetxea, 2005-2007
Carlos Lista, 2007-2009
Sol Picciotto, 2009-2011
Angela Melville, 2011-2013
Adam Czarnota, 2013-2016
Vincenzo Ferrari, 2016-2018
Noe Cornago, 2018-2020
Martin Ramstedt, 2020-2022
Details on this duty; calls, see separate page.
IISL and RCSL:
Activities more directly connected to the RCSL were several meetings of the IISL organized in relation to RCSL annual meetings:
– Post-Congress 1990 after ISA World Meeting Madrid;
– Post-Congress 1991 after Amsterdam Joint Meetings L&SA-RCSL;
– I Oñati Socio-Legal Conference 2005, before Paris 2005 Annual RCSL Meeting. Theme: European Ways of Law;
– II Oñati Socio-Legal Conference 2007, before Berlin Joint Meetings L&SA-RCSL. Theme: Las formas del derecho en Latinoamérica: Democracia, Desarrollo, Liberación.
The staff of IISL plays a vital role in the administration of the RCSL, notably by maintaining its membership database, and by publishing and circulating the RCSL Newsletter.
For more information about the IISL:
A short introduction is to be found on the ISA-RCSL Website:
The volume Oñati IISL-IISJ 1989-2000, published in 2000 by the Institute (I.S.B.N.: 84-89933-06-5), includes a detailed account of the process of its creation, its activities until 2000, as well the texts of the Agreements and Statutes governing the institution.
This page last updated 4 August 2020